Thursday, May 21, 2009

Week #10 - thing #20 - Exploring Twitter

.
So my good friend Lee LeFever told me about Twitter. I did a search for mentions of Phillips Memorial Library, my library. We got a shout out (tweat) from a student on being his 'home away from home.'

Kind of sad results. We haven't made a mark on Twitter, that's for sure.

I guess Twitter is good for the keeping in touch with friends and the "wish you were here" posting. It feels like a giant chat room of your friends. Facebook has its "update your status" version.

You can be a totally different person on the web.
You also have a forum if you are a word junkie.

But do you really want to know that Sally just dried her hair and is reading the newspaper? And why does Sally want to tell me?

I can see it being beneficial to tweat about conferences, meetings, etc. I also can see it as a good place to refer people to other websites.

I haven't had the need for it professionally or personally. Who has time to twitter all day? Is this the new entertainment for the chronically bored and teenagers?

The trending and queries didn't really impress me - it seems more entertainment-based than informational. Maybe it was the day and time I did my search.

Kind of blah, blah, blah...in 140 characters or less.

The Digital Intimacy article was an eye-opener. The little things you say can really create a profile that you may not want people to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment