Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Week #7 - things #13 & #14 - Wikis

.
thing #13 -
Some wikis are good and some are bad. Kind of like people.

Wikipedia scares me as a reference tool.

What "CliffsNotes (formerly Cliffs Notes, and often, erroneously, CliffNotes)" were to my generation, wikipedia is to this generation. Yes, I borrowed the phrase in quotes from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CliffsNotes. I'm trying to embrace wikipedia ... work with me.

But seriously, wikis can be so inaccurate. Talk about rewriting history. Do your homework; make the time to find the truth. Stop cheating!! Wikis can be a jumping off point in your research but verify whatever you find, elsewhere. Find a legitimate source.

Ask a librarian.

To steal from the movie Meet the Parents, there definitely has to be a "circle of trust" among the users and contributors to make wikis work. I'm all for freedom of speech, information and expression.

I do see wikis as a useful, collaborative tool for librarians. Instructional wikis would serve libraries well. A Wal-Mart one-stop-shopping store, if you will. But on the flip side, it could feel like too many cooks in the kitchen ruin the meal, too. Registered users and controlled content seem to be the way to go.

I'm a little bi-polar on this one.

So here's to Steve Colbert for saving the elephants and thanks to Lee LeFever for organizing the camping trip.

On that note, here's my shout out to the old school. How often do you hear wiki, wiki, wiki in a song? Cheers to Newcleus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKB0-pTq30M


.

thing #14 - create a wiki or add an entry

I added the entry - Favorite Things. I welcome everyone to add to the list. Make Maria Von Trapp proud!

I will be back to read up some more. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment